Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity - What's Next?

From: Eyvind Bernhardsen
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity - What's Next?
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:38:23 +0200

On 3. okt.. 2007, at 02.16, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

mike wrote:
On 10/2/07, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:

6) New file format.  I'm thinking that this needs to be addressed if
we're going to play in the major leagues. Having to decompress/ decrypt several megs/gigs to get to a small critical file to restore is not a
good thing.  It's secure, but at a high price.  There are some other
projects out there with better formats.  What we need is one already
vetted by heavy use, so any suggestions will be considered.

DAR might be something to look at. That's the only thing that comes to
mind for me.

http://dar.linux.free.fr

Looking at it already.  Its in C++ and has a reasonable API that could
be accessed with Python easily.  There may even be a python-dar module
out there hiding somewhere.

Xar looks similar to dar, and already has Python bindings:

http://code.google.com/p/xar/

Eyvind Bernhardsen