[Duplicity-talk] Backing up desktop virtual machines?

From: Rubin Abdi
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Backing up desktop virtual machines?
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 22:50:25 -0700

Hello.

So I've been using Duplicity for the last week (wrapped with duply) and
it's been great. My only current sore spot is if I touch any of my
virtual machines (through Virtual Box), a backup jumps from 15 minutes
to over 2 hours. And so I have three questions.

The first one I'm pretty sure the answer is no, is there any way to
backup only the changes within the vdi volume container file to my
Duplicity session?

Given that the answer to the first question is no, is there any sane way
of ignoring my virtual machine directory for incremental backups until I
decided it's time to also include the new changes to the virtual machine
directory?

And so, is there any way to have Duplicity only maintain two versions of
files in a particular directory while still having that be included in a
full system backup?

If the answer two question two is either no, or too much of a pain, I'm
guessing my only solution really is to have a separate Duplicity session
for the virtual machines that I run once in a while and only maintain
two revisions.

Am I thinking correctly about all this? Thanks!

--
Rubin
address@hidden