Re: modal proportionality, redux

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: modal proportionality, redux
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:54:28 +0900 (JST)

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> [actually, times has a very nice asterisk, but I assume we're sticking
>  with sans-serif fonts here]

> I also think lucida looks very nice (not just the asterisk; it seems to
> have fewer extremes than helvetica, and generally suitable for this sort
> of use).  Does it come standard with all X distributions?

As far as I know, all recent X systems have lucida fonts.
They are included even in Open Windows of SunOS 4.1.2.

I still prefer asterisks of such fixed-width fonts as 6x13,
7x13, and those included in intlfonts.  They display
asterisks at the middle or near the middle of lines, which
very well harmonize with `-' and `%' at `mode-line-modified'
part of the modeline..

So, ideally, it seems good to me to use lucida for the face
`mode-line', but use the default font only for
`mode-line-modified'.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden