Re: GCC complaints about missing braces around initializer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GCC complaints about missing braces around initializer
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:45:25 -0700 (MST)

    When compiling with -Wall GCC complaints about missing braces around
    initializers because the code does

            struct foo var[] = { a11, a12, a13, a21, a22, a23 };

    instead of

            struct foo var[] = { {a11, a12, a13}, {a21, a22, a23} };

    is there a reason why the code is written this way or can I safely

-Wall includes a number of unreasonable warnings.  When I implemented
those warnings I decided that we WILL NOT make changes merely because
there is a -Wall warning.

So please don't propose or argue for any change on the basis of -Wall.
The change may be good or bad, but that is based on other reasons,
not -Wall.

I don't remember either for certain whether K&R C allowed the nested
braces.  However, it is better to leave this code alone, just because
so many changes are being made now.  Let's give some things a rest!
Let's focus on improvements that help the user!