Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: Suggestions for mode-line-format changes
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:12:41 -0400

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I guess most users will agree that knowing the time is
> important around lunch time and near the end of the day :-)

It's also mail, battery status, and upcoming appointments for me.
Some packages I don't personally use which seem to use
global-mode-string include timeclock and viper.

> Well for many years, I've looked near the end of the mode line for
> the line and column number ... and they just moved too.
>
> If they had sayed put, this would never have become an issue :-)

If that's causing this many problems, maybe they should be moved
back, and we continue with the plans to allow customize to do
mode-line-format things.

I'm not sure what the best default for the mode-line is, but I'm not
sure we're improving it for the common case....

--
Alan Shutko <address@hidden> - In a variety of flavors!
Auditorium: Derived from 'audio' (to hear) and 'taurus' (bull).