Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: 07 Sep 2002 02:53:36 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 01:36:13PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > With your code, the rules are simle:  If you change a keymap with
> > > customize, all other changes are lost.
> >
> > This doesn't have to be the case.  The custom info can simply keep track of
> > "what the user added with custom" and "what the user removed with custom"
> > and custom-set-variable would simply take the current map and add/remove
> > the corresponding entries.  So changes made outside of custom would only be
> > clobbered if they conflict, which I think is not too confusing and even
> > somewhat intuitive.
>
> I completely agree:  this is the way we should do it.

Me too.

But what's does it mean to delete a key binding?

Is it the same as adding a keybinding with command = nil,
effectively removing any binding of the key ?

Or should it restore a default key binding from bindings.el ?

Or is it a combination of the two -  if the current key binding
is set from custom, deleting means: remove the custom binding and
restore the default binding; otherwise, remove the default binding.

I think the last interpretation is the most flexible...