Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 14:40:11 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> The way keymaps are handled, traditionally, is via incremental modification,
> not simply `setting' them, and customize should be no different.

Is there a reason customize should not be different?

> In any case, it doesn't really seem that hard to do better -- customize
> should only ever add or remove entries from keymaps, not `set the keymap,'
> and it should keep track of which ones it did, and only save those when
> saving.  One way to do this is just have an alist of (MAP-VAR ADDED DEL'D)
> entries (where ADDED and DEL'D are lists of keys).

That is what Alex' code does.

What do you suggest it should do when the user remove an ADDED item?

> Many people set keybindings in mode hooks and the like; sometimes they've
> copied that code from other people and don't really understand it.  The
> `trash everything' approach obviously messes this up.

But in an obvious way.  Alex new code does so in an non-obvious way.

When you remove an ADDED item, the value last seen by customize is
restored.  What that value is depend on timing, i.e. whan any Lisp
level changes (from hooks or whatever) have been done.  Before or
after the last change?

> [Maybe you're suggesting that interactive and `non-interactive' (e.g. invoked
> by `M-:') uses of global-set-key work differently, but I think that's
> unacceptable.]

Yes.  That is what Stefan have implemented for global minor modes.