Re: ?\_ patch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: ?\_ patch
Date: 07 Feb 2003 17:34:08 +0900

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> As Handa pointed out, ?\_ would have broken tons of existing code,
> which, for whatever reason, used ?\_ instead of ?_  Breaking existing
> code is a big disadvantage.

I didn't see Handa's message (there was a wierd burp in the emacs-devel
mailing list, so perhaps it got nuked there...), but I did a grep and
you're right -- a bunch of code uses ?\_ to mean ?_ .

I can't imagine _why_ people did that, but they did, so I guess ?\_ is
no good.  Bleah.

I really don't like the wierd double identity of ?\s, but I'm not sure
what alternative there is... Perhaps kim's idea (?\SPC), but with a less
ambiguous syntax, e.g., #\SPC or something.

Does xemacs do anything about this issue?

-Miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.