Re: `set-fontset-font' and ascii characters

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `set-fontset-font' and ascii characters
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 03:06:00 -0400

    If we change the ASCII font in the fontset of the default
    face, I think it should have the same effect as changing the
    font of the default face (e.g. changing the font size
    results in chaning the frame size).  The reason I inhibitted
    changing ASCII font in a fontset is that it seems difficult
    to achieve that effect (or at least I didn't know how to do
    that when I wrote the code).

Can't you achieve that effect by calling set-frame-font?