Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: 21 Oct 2003 08:38:16 +0300

Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:
> Juri Linkov wrote:
> > 2. Sometimes there is a need to make a bookmark to the message to be
> > able to quickly return to it later.  Hopeless.  Only one way to fetch
> > old message is to start MUA and browse through dozens of folders and
> > hundreds of messages in every folder.
>
> I did a little work on this issue about 2 1/2 years ago.  My approach
> was to define a bookmark as a URL whose protocol is "mailmessage", so
> that I could use Emacs' url.el library to parse it and ange-ftp.el to
> access remote //address@hidden folders.  However, I wrote it as an add-on
> to VM, so the code that actually views the folder and selects the
> message would have to be converted to Rmail.  And it would have to be
> extended to handle IMAP folders (cf. file folders).

Using URL for references to messages is a good solution, but instead
of inventing ad hoc protocol name, it's better to use standard name
"mid" defined by http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2392.txt.

Then, for example, opening the link <mid:address@hidden>
should start a mail reader, find corresponding message by its
Message-ID, prepare article buffer and switch to it (e.g. in case of
Gnus to call the function `gnus-summary-goto-article'; other mail
readers should have a similar function).

I'm not sure yet, where this could be implemented: url.el is not part
of Emacs (BTW: Why?); thingatpt.el mentions this protocol name, but
that's all; perhaps this should be done partially in ffap.el.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/