Re: [mew-int 01585] Re: windows 1252

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [mew-int 01585] Re: windows 1252
Date: 04 Nov 2003 10:13:35 -0500

> (1) Backgourd compatibility to non-Mule Emacsen.

>       Non-Mule Emacsen use 8bit as ISO-8859-1. Thus, to share the
>       cache among Mule Emacsen and non-Mule Emacsen, we need to
>       character set whose 8bit is ISO-8859-1.

utf-8 would be ideal here.

> (2) Co-exist of Emacs and XEmacs.

>       The 'emacs-mule coding-system is not appropriate since XEmacs
>       has a different internal representation from Emacs'one. Note
>       Emacsen use different 'emacs-mule coding-system among
>       versions.

iso-2022 would be the answer here.

> The one-and-only coding-system which, I found, meets the requirements
> above is 'ctext.

It's unfortunate, but I guess it makes sense.
It should be possible to make ctext-with-extensions work for your case.

BTW, windows-1252 should internally be turned into a mix of chars from
various charsets and they should (hopefully) all be encodable directly in
ctext, so I'm not sure what is your exact problem.  Could you describe what
currently happens with windows-1252 and what you'd like to see instead ?

        Stefan