Re: [mew-int 01590] Re: windows 1252

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [mew-int 01590] Re: windows 1252
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 03:45:49 +0900

    >> It's unfortunate, but I guess it makes sense.  It should be
    >> possible to make ctext-with-extensions work for your case.

    Kazu> To support a new character set in ctext, we only need to
    Kazu> register a new escape sequence.

You don't even need to do that with an extended segment.  The
Windows-125x sets are all IANA-registered, which should be enough for
global uniqueness.  To represent the text, you just use the name of
the character set: ESC % / 1 <M> <L> Windows-1252 STX ... where <M>
and <L> encode the length of the segment and ESC and STX are the ASCII
control characters 0x1B and 0x02.

    Kazu> As I said, I don't know windows-1252 well and I don't know
    Kazu> the current ctext can encode all windows-1252 characters.

ctext can, because in the extended segment the characters will be
represented as themselves.  Whether Mule can or not is a different
story.  However, I'm fairly sure that all of the characters that
Windows 125x put into the C1 space are encodable by Mule.  See

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1252.htm

for example.