Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Joachim Nilsson
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:30:35 +0100

On 03/27/04 06:52, Richard Stallman wrote:
I don't think key bindings are needed for M-x compile.  One doesn't
type it all that often.

With all due respect to all your years of hacking, but
that is a use-case question.

Remainder of this followup concerns bindings in C-mode.

I was spoon-fed C on Borland-C 2.0 IDE, so I have compile
bound to C-F9 (plus many other neat bindings from that IDE),
and I hit that sequence too much every day.  Much thanks to
gcc not being able to bail out in time and giving me followup
errors to something early in a file and partly also due to
not having a neat bindings for next/prev-error.

The strongest point, however, to me using compile this often
is simple laziness.  I know I have a crazy quick CPU and the
sloppiness in my style often suggest I've missed semicolons
and other stuff.  So I (and many more dumb-nuts like me)
rather fix one error at a time and then recompile.  Actually,
this "technique" is often taught to us in school with the
words; "Aw, don't trust that compiler output, it is probably
something else -- fix the first one and rebuild instead".
I know, "then we should fix the compiler" ...

Fwiw, I'd like it very much to have C-c C-c (or C-c C-f,
like in LaTeX-mode) be bound to compile (for the current
major mode).

Regards
 /Joachim