Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: 06 Aug 2004 15:56:15 +0200

>     >  What installer is thought of? I have used NullSoft's installer and it
>     >  is very easy to implement.
>     I am using Inno Setup. I have not heard of NullSoft before.
> Please keep in mind that any installer we use for GNU Emacs
> must be free software.
> I don't use MS Windows so I wouldn't know if either of those is free.
> If one of them is free, then I suppose we could use it.

Didn't Microsoft recently release some installer tool Wix under the
CPL?  More info is at

AFAIR, the CPL, while being Open Source, is not GPL compatible.
However, since we are really talking about aggregation here, I don't
think this should be relevant.

I also have no idea whether this thing will actually be useful for our
purposes, but it is probably something worth taking a look at, if it
is a standard way of installing Windows software and at least freely
available with source, even if not under the GPL.