Where to put images for lisp packages? (was: Gnus 5.10 is now on the tru

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Where to put images for lisp packages? (was: Gnus 5.10 is now on the trunk)
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:33:05 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 07:58:29PM +0200, Reiner Steib wrote:
[...]
>> I have placed the new (or changed) images in lisp/gnus/.  This is the
>> location where most images lived before the merge (i.e. in Gnus 5.9).
>>
>> But I think it would be better to move the files lisp/gnus/*.[px][bp]m
>> to etc/gnus/ [1] and etc/smilies/ [2].  Currently, the smilies images
>> aren't found.
>
> We should come up with some sort of consistent rule for where lisp-package
> image files go -- currently it seems kinda random: [...]

I agree.

> If they're to go in etc/, it would be nice if they went in to a
> sub-hierarchy that strictly mirrored the correspodning lisp dirs, to
> make them easier to find (for a hacker, not for the code :-).

"strictly" would require minor changes in `smilies.el': Look in
etc/gnus instead of etc/smilies.

On Thu, Sep 09 2004, Miles Bader wrote:

> FWIW, I've gotten around to switching to the new in-tree Gnus (I
> uninstalled my previous Gnus 5.10 installation), and everything seems to
> work fine, including the Gnus mode-line icon.

Do you see these test smilies as images (when
`gnus-treat-display-smileys' is non-nil)?

| Test smileys:  :-) :-\ :-( :-/

For me, `smiley-data-directory' is nil and no graphical smilies are
displayed:

,----
| (defcustom smiley-data-directory (nnheader-find-etc-directory "smilies")
|   "*Location of the smiley faces files."
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--