Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:39:45 +0100

Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:

> Isn't the opposite the case?  When "emacs_dir" is not set it is
> automatically replaced with a generated value.

emacs_dir is always replaced with the generated value. The only time
it is not is if Emacs can't work out what the generated value should
be (you have installed in a non-standard directory).

The other values in the registry are the same as the defaults. Emacs
will actually work now with nothing in the registry, the main reason
for setting them in the install program is that older versions used
hard-coded paths (not relative to emacs_dir), which may cause
problems if they point to a different version, so we want to replace
the old values.