Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:42:21 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> +    (if (and (boundp 'transient-mark-mode) transient-mark-mode
> +          (boundp 'mark-active) mark-active)
> +     (ispell-region (region-beginning) (region-end))

Just as a matter of taste: leave off the boundp tests.  They are
presumably for not making this code fail under XEmacs.  But that also
means that the change is not apparent to XEmacs developers when they
try using this code.  If they instead an error, they at least know
what to look for.  Or they can make the call whether they prefer to
complicate the code, or rather solve this with compatibility packages.

The alternative is to implement this _completely_.  Namely do
something like

(if (if (featurep 'xemacs)
        (and zmacs-regions (mark))
       (and transient-mark-mode mark-active))
  (ispell-region ...

But a half-baked implementation will complicate matters for our code
as well as not simplifying things for the XEmacs developers.  If you
don't have an XEmacs yourself for checking code like this, I'd tend to
suggest leaving out any compatibility stuff.  In contrast, it is ok to
check stuff like that in when suggested by XEmacs developers (and when
we have assignments for them in case they are necessary), because then
they have at least a good chance of having been tested and working.
But it is probably not worth the trouble if the results are
inconsistent: namely if some places in the file cater for XEmacs, and
some don't.  That is likely to mask trouble.