Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:41:53 +0900

On 6/10/05, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > As it seems unlikely for terminfo to be changed anytime soon (and
> > broken installations would remain for a long time anyway), it seems
> > that Emacs just needs to special-case the terminal name "linux" to
> > reflect that underlining isn't supported there.
> Yuck!  I'd prefer we invest our energy in talking the Linux
> maintainers into changing their terminfo entries.  Hardcoding terminal
> names is ugly and would be a maintenance mess if that terminal expands
> its capabilities in the future.

Hey I don't like it either, but relying terminfo to be correct seems
overly optimistic -- even if we can quickly get the terminfo
maintainers to make a change, it will take a long time to propagate to
all installations (people often update major apps like Emacs while
background stuff like terminfo languishes).

Probably we should do both, regarding the name check as a short-term workaround.

> We always insisted in behaving as the terminfo entry says.  The only
> places where we currently look at the terminal's name is when there's
> no known way if figuring out something, like with the (unknown)
> default background color of the terminal.

If the terminfo entry is most likely wrong, and we know it, then it
doesn't make sense to follow it.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.