Re: Shift Tab should move backward in help buffers

From: David PONCE
Subject: Re: Shift Tab should move backward in help buffers
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:24:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

>> Please notice that on my Compacq Evo N610c laptop running Fedora Core
>> 3 GNU/Linux the <S-tab> and <backtab> keys seem to not exist.  There
>> is a <S-iso-lefttab> instead. Perhaps this key could be added to?
>

> Does this mean that C-h k (Shift Tab) reports <S-iso-lefttab>?  It seems
> you're running emacs in X, so you should see "<backtab> (translated from
> <S-iso-lefttab>)" if the active keymap binds <backtab> to a command.
> Unless you're using table-mode or org-mode, which bind <S-iso-lefttab>
> explicitly.

You're right.  In fact I had an explicit global key binding to
<S-iso-lefttab> in my start-up file, so I didn't see anymore the
<backtab> key.  I changed to use <backtab> instead of <S-iso-lefttab>
and it works now.

However I also have a global key binding to <C-backtab> which doesn't
work, I only see <C-S-iso-lefttab>.  I also tried without any user's
configuration:

emacs -Q

C-h k reported:

<backtab> (translated from <S-iso-lefttab>) is undefined

<C-S-iso-lefttab> is undefined

ESC <backtab> (translated from <escape> <S-iso-lefttab>) is undefined

ESC <C-S-iso-lefttab> (translated from <escape> <C-S-iso-lefttab>) is
undefined

Is it the expected behavior?  IMHO, with the control key, backtab
should report <C-backtab> for consistency.  WDYT?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
David

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.14)
 of 2005-06-26 on localhost
X server distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60802000
configured using `configure '--with-gtk'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil