Re: theming (was: Sorting of directories in dired)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: theming (was: Sorting of directories in dired)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:11:15 +0100

On 7 Jul 2005, at 13:22, David Reitter wrote:

I have implemented the single frame behavior (it takes more than OneonOne to do that), for example.

As I've been asked to clarify this: We define a range of additional functions, such as one to delete a buffer when its window is deleted, and delete the frame with it if necessary (and appropriate), or to decide when to open a new window (instead of a brand-new frame). We also advise switch-to-buffer and pop-to-buffer. This code works on top of OneOnOne by Drew Adams. OneOnOne - to be exact: a subset of its functionality - has replaced an earlier (rather unsophisticated) implementation of frame-opening behavior in a very early Aquamacs version, because it is nicely structured and mature. Drew has done an awesome job in fixing things I wanted to see optimized so that we could integrate OneOnOne (including a selective version of the frame-fitting behavior provided by fit-frame.el) with other code.

OneOnOne and a number of other packages that get used can be found here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DrewsElispLibraries

In this discussion, this should serve as an example that packages that change the UI often need to make extensive modifications - much more than tweaking a few existing customization variables.