Re: Sorting of directories in dired

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Sorting of directories in dired
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:24:29 +0200

> On 7/7/05, Edward O'Connor <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I love how Emacs is a consistent environment across the various
>> operating systems it runs on, and would much prefer it for the
>> default Dired behavior to continue to be the same across all
>> supported systems.
>
> That's the eternal tension between making things "right" and making
> them "easy". Using the Windows defaults on Windows would be more
> helpful to new users; I'd say it makes sense to lean towards the
> newbie's side, if any.

That's one reason why we need custom themes.  That's where
system-convention-friendly settings should be collected, not all
across the board.

This would resolve the tensions then.

That way, a person coming from a Unix background can with one command
let his Windows Emacs behave like he is accustomed to.

Of course, settings that are _necessary_ on a given platform don't
belong into a theme.