Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:23:31 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       In as far as finding options is concerned, the best way to find
       options is customize-browse.  _That_ is the one we should emphasize.

   Can you propose a patch to the manual to make this more prominent?

and (in response to Lennart Borgman):

   Your latest patch is ok, but it has problems of Texinfo usage.
   Would someone like to correct the style?

These two do not seem to go very well together.  It would be easier
for me to propose a patch making `customize-browse' more prominent and
maybe better explaining its relation with `customize' and
`customize-apropos' without Lennart's node added.

If you would read through the entire "Easy Customization" section, you
would see that Lennart's node just repeats in other words what is
already described in other nodes in that section.  Redundancy not only
wastes space, but can also be confusing and annoying to the reader.

Essentially, I believe that one needs a new node with nearly the same
title as Lennart's node but mainly describing customize-browse.  I
would move the current description of customize-browse into that node
rather than repeating it.  The node could briefly mention
customize-apropos, with an @anchor to its detailed description.  That
would achieve the same purpose as Lennart's patch (pointing out that
customize-apropos is an alternate way to find options) with a short
sentence, rather than with a node.

I do not have the time to send a patch this evening, but I could do so
relatively soon.

Sincerely,

Luc.