Re: Mode_switch and LEIM

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Mode_switch and LEIM
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:04:04 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Now I have the opposite question: why do you enable a XIM input method
> > while you are using a LEIM input method at the same time.
>
> I don't think he doesn't use them both at the same time.  All he says is
> "when I use XIM I like the Mode_switch thingy, can I have it for LEIM too?"

Exactly.  I use XIM only in other applications.  So, in most applications
(where I use XIM), I can use Mode_switch (mapped to right Alt), while in
Emacs I can't because I use LEIM there.

I wish there was a way to have a `perfect' input method system in Emacs.
I think LEIM is closer to that ideal and it is easier to improve it even
further.  For instance, it is probably very difficult (if at all possible)
to implement separate XIM input methods per buffer.

WRT LEIM I have two wishes:
a) Mode_switch handling like in XIM;
b) a way to switch input methods using the same key as is used for switching
   XIM input methods (but this is probably way too difficult and cannot be
   done without hacking external software).

Paul