Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:01:54 -0500

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>    If all goes well, you should have a window config like this:
>
>         +---------+---------+
>         |         |         |
>         |         |    2    |
>         |         |         |
>         |    1    +---------+
>         |         |         |
>         |         |    3    |
>         |         |         |
>         +---------+---------+
>
> That makes my dired window too narrow.  My default windows frame, run
> under X, produces a window that is eighty characters wide.  This works
> fine.  In a regular instance of Emacs with this Tummes configuration,
> I cannot see the endings of file in dired.  The window becomes 37
> characters wide.  I had to widen the whole frame before I could even
> begin to mark files.

I agree.  This window configuration is simply impractical.  (BTW, if
you call tumme-dired again, window 1 is split even further, which is
clearly a bug).  I find the current tumme interface rather difficult
to use.

Instead of displaying the thumbnails in a separate window, I'd suggest

 1. Displaying them in a speedbar.

or

 2. Displaying them in a tooltip (I hacked together an implementation
    of this to see what it looks like, and it seems to look OK).