Re: Cursor on images not visible

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Cursor on images not visible
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:40:26 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>     This also affects all packages outside Emacs, so maybe a better
>>     solution is to try to change code that draws a frame around
>>     images under the cursor to draw it as if the image had a
>>     1-pixel margin?
>>
>> It sounds good to me, if it looks good in practice.
>> Would this ever look bad due to overlapping adjoining images?
>> Maybe that could happen with image slices.
>
> I think it would be very bad to always add a margin to images.
>
> If we ever want to make a full web browser in emacs, we definitely
> need to be able to "glue" images together without any margins around
> them.  (I have some ideas how to modify the redisplay engine to
> allow this, but that for emacs 24.x)...

Apropos image slices: adding a margin could possibly be implemented by
image slices that happen to be larger than the image itself: the
additional area would then get filled with the background color.

I have no idea whether this would work with the current code, but it
seems like a straightforward extension of the slice semantics.