Re: Emacs crashes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Emacs crashes
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:15:10 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I've had Emacs crash/hang in three different ways in recent days.
>>
>> I can second that.  I had another crash today, so it has crashed on me
>> four times in the last week.
>>
>> I suspect the recent changes to the handling (unwind etc) of x errors,
>> but I have no proof, as there is no similarity to the crashes (except
>> that it has now crashed twice in malloc_consolidate (libc internal)
>> called from emacs_blocked_malloc called from XtVaGetValues in
>> x_set_toolkit_scroll_bar_thumb.
>
> You could revert those changes (if you like, I can send you a single
> patch reverting just my changes), run Emacs for a while, and see if
> the crashes still happen.
>
> If it is really the cause, I could change the x_catch_errors so that
> it doesn't use malloc; maybe that will help.

Except for those changes (and there have been quite a lot on top of
each other!), I only see the following (related) change which may be
at play here:

2006-02-26  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>

        * lisp.h (struct specbinding, specpdl_ptr): Remove the volatile
        qualifier which was trying to avoid the bug that was fixed by
        yesterday's changes to xterm.c.