Re: W32 version crashes on C-g

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: W32 version crashes on C-g
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:52:12 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:49:09 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> So you lost me there...  I just installed MSYS and MINGW, and now
> you're telling me to run stuff in COMMAND.COM ?

You don't need MSYS, just MinGW.

The Makefile's produced by nt/configure.bat will run both with and
without a Unixy shell.  And in any case, there's no need to invoke
configure.bat from a Unixy shell, since it's a batch file.  (In fact,
some ports of sh.exe will not be able to run batch files at all.)

> C:\gnu\devel\nt>gcc  -mno-cygwin -c junk.c
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory

Your GCC installation is broken or incomplete.

> I tried to look at nt/INSTALL, and rather than giving
> ONE CLEAR way to build it, it gives an utterly complex
> mix of basic CMD.COM, Cygwin, and MinGW stuff that may
> work in various combinations.

I understand that you were in a hurry and mildly annoyed, and in that
condition too complex installation instructions may cause a lot of
grief.  But please look closer at nt/INSTALL: the ``complex mix'' is
described at the beginning, and after that you have sections labeled
"Confoguring", "Building", and "Installing" that describe the way to
build and install Emacs.

> Would someone like to work on a simple, step-by-step
> guide for building this using ONE tool-kit (e.g. MinGW),
> tell _exactly_ where to find the right versions of those tools,
> libaries, etc. it would be nice.

nt/INSTALL assumes that you already have a working development
environment, and so it doesn't tell how to set up such an environment.
I don't object to adding such info (probably near the end, so that it
stays out of the way of the impatient ;-), but please understand that
you were trying to climb a very steep learning curve, hoping you will
be able to do that in about 5 seconds.  It's just not so easy on
Windows.