Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Small patch to enable use of gpg-agent with pgg
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:46:39 +0100

Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> first of all, fore some reasons you got lost from the list of CC's so
> you missed some important messages in this thread, including a more
> elaborated version of my patch...

Hi Sascha.  Oops!

>> 1) Non-agent mode didn't work at all (the args list contained 'nil' so
>>    invoking gpg failed with a lisp error).
>
> Yes.  This was fixed in my second patch.  (and in the attached, of cause)
>
>> 2) After fixing the above, the patch made the passphrase be 't', which
>>    broke the passphrase cache, causing a lisp error.
>
> Thanks, I used your strategy to fix this issue in my new patch (which
> I attached).

Your patch look good, although Daiki's idea of querying for the
passphrase only when it is needed seem better.  I don't have time to
implement that though.  If you or Daiki have time, I'd prefer that
solution, but if there isn't a patch to commit within a few days, I'll
install your patch so we don't get stuck.  What do you think?

>> How about this patch instead?  It works for me.  I've also improved
>> the pgg-use-agent default value.
>
> This is very error prone.  As I wrote before on emacs-devel: there are
> certain situations in which using the agent will fail -- even if it is
> available: for example: on an text console running the standard
> pin-entry program (which uses curses) from within emacs won't work.
> That's why I think this option should be explicitly enabled by the user.
>
> Another problem is, that checking for $GPG_AGENT_INFO is not
> sufficient, the environment variable will stay set, even is the agent
> was killed.

Ah, I see.

> Could you please consider committing the attached patch, which
> reverses the default of pgg-gpg-use-agent to nil, and adds an check if
> the agent is _really_ available, when pgg-gpg-use-agent is set to t?
>
> (The patch is against the latest CVS, including your patch that is)

Seems fine, although I'll wait a day or so until I see if we can get
Daiki's idea implemented.

Thanks!