Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:57:00 +0200

> Key bindings *are* shortcuts - what's wrong with that? 1) They are
> commonly called "keyboard shortcuts" by many people. 2) They are
> shorter (quicker) to use than clicking menus and links with a mouse -
> don't you agree? They are shorter (quicker) than using `M-x' - don't
> you agree? What is it about "shortcut" that sets you off?

It's one of those sort of words/phrases so beloved of
journalists/salesmen/politicians that can be used to denigrate something,
yet the j/s/p, when called on it, can convincingly pretend it was totally
innocent and factual, as you have done in the preceding paragraph.

I understood Drew perfectly and I did not stop a second thinking that
he might have used it in a "journalist" sense. The reason is probably
that he and me have always used the same name for it, "keyboard
shortcut". Of all the things I have heard people call this during the
ten years I have been using computers professionally, this is the most
common of them (I use Windows at work). In the Emacs world, "key
sequence" is probably more correct, at least technically.