Re: python-mode patch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: python-mode patch
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:13:11 -0400

    Taking it into account, I would like to become a maintainer of
    python-mode. I would also like to try and fix as much as possible (due
    to lack of my time it may not end up being all that much, though)
    before the release. It should not cause any real problems since, as I
    said, nobody appears to be using the mode currently.

I would really appreciate that, but we'd need you to sign legal papers
before installing so much code from you.  I will send you the form
to get started.

    The other reason, probably even important, is that there is another
    python-mode, at http://sf.net/projects/python-mode

Would the authors of that program like to contribute?

    It would be good to have unambiguous way of talking about those modes.
    Does anyone have a suggestion how to avoid confusion?

    Would saying "GNU python-mode" make sense?

That would imply that the mode which is not installed
in Emacs is "the" python-mode, and ours plays second fiddle.