Re: Icon displayed wrong

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Icon displayed wrong
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 05:10:49 -0400

Eli> Note that there are a couple of other *.pbm files in etc/images
Eli> that on the branch are not PBM files.  For example, copy.pbm is a
Eli> PPM file.  Are we sure they all are due to typo-style mistakes?

I see 5 such files: copy.pbm, next-node.pbm, prev-node.pbm, save.pbm and
up-node.pbm.  Each of those has just black and white pixels, exactly
like the PGM version of cancel.pbm.

So, yes, I do beleive they are also typo-style mistakes.  It is very
easy in the Gimp and XV to hit the wrong version of portable bit/grey/
pix map file when choosing from the popup menus.  I've done it myself.

The pbm icons were intended for bitmap displays (at least the ones
coming from Gnus) and the xpm for colour displays.

I do find it interesting that Emacs displays bitmap icons as foreground/
background masks rather than black/white images, but that does seem
reasonable given the desires to support both light-on-dark and dark-on-
light displays and to support bitmap displays of varying emitter colour.

As such, the display of the unaltered cancel, copy, next-node,
prev-node, save and up-node bitmap icons on light-on-dark bitmap
displays will be drastically different than the rest of the bitmap
icons.  I can't see how that could have been intended.

So those five should be converted with either of:

   ppmtopgm <$old |pgmtoppm >$new && mv $new $old

   convert $old -format PBM $new && mv $new $old

>> If there is any chance of .990 getting simply renamed as 22.1

Eli> There's exactly 0% chance that this will happen, because some
Eli> source files need to be modified to change the version number, and
Eli> the ChangeLog files need to be marked with the release entry.

OK.  I did think that "other than release-process changes" went w/o
saying, but point taken.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6