Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 09:15:30 -0400

>>> Which is easier if `initial-environment' is called
>>> `process-environment'...
>> Well, the opposite is true for existing code that adds stuff to
>> `process-environment'.  I believe such code is a lot more
>> widespread.
> If the way this addition is done is by virtue of "setenv", we can
> cater for it.

I was thinking of (let ((process-environment (cons FOO process-environment)))

> As written in a separate posting: I'd prefer not to have different
> notions of terminal-local and client-local.

Yes, the argument made sense.  I think we had better try to stick to only
one such notion.  Since we already have the notion of terminal, we should
just stick with it.  We will probably want to define that we can have two
different "pty1" terminals (corresponding to two different emacclient
sessions).  I think it'd be more difficult to do the same with machine:0.0
displays, but if we want and can do that, I don't see why I'd oppose it.

        Stefan