Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:26:10 +0200

>     The only thing that does not really look nice is deleting the first
>     element of the shared tail global-process-environment: one would have
>     to do the deletion the hard way, by doing something like
>
>     Maybe one should start global-process-environment with a dummy entry.
>
> I think a dummy link whose car is nil would be an elegant solution.

An empty string, perhaps.  I severely doubt that most loops through
process-environment will be prepared to encounter a non-string
argument (doing string-match on all encountered elements would be sort
of a natural operation).  An empty string, in contrast, would probably
not do much harm, I suppose.

>     Is there any way to check whether process-environment is
>     terminal-local (the global binding), or let-bound?  Maybe a
>     solution can be manufactured around that.
>
> That would be extremely un-Lispy.

Well, yes.  I am sifting through mediocre and bad solutions here.  I'd
prefer straightforward elegant and mostly backward-compatible
solutions, but those are not easy to come by.