Re: Saving the selection before killing

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Saving the selection before killing
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:59:06 -0400

> You obviously haven't run Emacs over a slow (well say less than 1 Mbit/s)
> ssh forward X connection.

I sure have and still do every once in a while.

> Selections over slow links are painful right now.  Emacs 22 is so much
> slower in this regard than 21.x.  For example, single click with mouse-1
> sometimes makes Emacs loop forever (C-g works though), redisplay for small
> changes can take 10:s of seconds, popup of tool tip also takes several
> seconds.  Your proposal should be customizable, and preferrably default off,
> as it is a new behaviour.
[...]
> That when that amount of text gets drawn over a slow link it takes time.
> And that when Emacs redisplays, it takes time.  We are talking 10:s of
> seconds here.
[...]
> Yes, but I have to wait several seconds before Emacs is responsive again.

So again, the only argument here is that over slow links Emacs is currently
slow and my patch might make it a bit worse.

Agreed.

But since slow links are not the rule, and since Emacs is already slow over
such links (i.e. many people will prefer the -nw version in such cases),
I think that this argument shouldn't imply that the feature should be off
by default.

Those people who use Emacs over slow links will simply have to add this to
the list of features they disable to bring the delays down to an acceptable
level.  BTW, maybe we could provide a function `spare-bandwidth' that turns
off the menubar, the toolbar, the tooltips, this feature, ...

        Stefan