Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 21:20:57 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Normally I don't use several frames, but for emacsclients I like
>> the new behavior.  Making it depend on pop-up-frames wouldn't help
>> me, so I'm for the reversed behavior of the -c option, too.
>
> How about the following default behavior of emacsclient:

I don't think that it makes sense to fantasize a whole bunch of
behaviors for emacsclient: emacsclient should be modeled to mimic
Emacs itself as closely as possible with regard to command line
options and stuff: that way, one does not need half a million of info
pages to explain how clever it is.

> 1. When invoked without arguments, display the current frame (-c
> uses the current frame, but this could be customizable to display
> the initial frame or any of existing frames).

Initial frame seems reasonable.

> 2. When invoked with -e or --eval, display the current frame and eval the
> expression on this frame.
>
> 3. When invoked with one FILE argument, create a new frame with the file
> buffer.
>
> 4. When invoked with multiple FILE arguments, create either one frame with
> windows containing all specified files' buffers, or if `pop-up-frames' is
> non-nil, create as many frames as there are file arguments (starting a new
> Emacs session already does this).

Too much cleverness.  Just do the same thing that is done on normal
Emacs startup.

> The reason that is usually it's undesirable to change the window
> configuration of the current frame when visiting new files.

That is no different from C-x C-f.

I can imagine one thing that could conceivably made to differentiate
between "C-x C-f"-like and "new Emacs session"-like behavior: if tty
and/or TERM indicate that emacsclient has been started from _within_
Emacs (for example, as an editor from a CVS command inside of an Emacs
shell or VC), then it does make more sense to treat this "C-x
C-f"-like than when emacsclient gets started from an independent
tty/terminal.