Re: Change in emacsclient behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Change in emacsclient behavior
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:34:58 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't think that it makes sense to fantasize a whole bunch of
>> behaviors for emacsclient: emacsclient should be modeled to mimic
>> Emacs itself as closely as possible with regard to command line
>> options and stuff: that way, one does not need half a million of info
>> pages to explain how clever it is.
>
> I agree that emacsclient should mimic emacs as much as possible.
> Maybe even there should be a common wrapper (with a different name)
> for emacs and emacsclient: running it will start emacs if it is
> not started yet or connect to an existing Emacs server.

emacsclient -a emacs

> At least, command line options shouldn't be so different as now,
> e.g. instead of -t, --tty better to use --no-window-system, -nw...

I want to be able to say something like

emacsclient -a emacs -f emerge-files-command file-a file-b file-c

and have it work as expected.  It is not too hard to do if one leaves
the command line parsing mainly to emacs-server and have it set up
(and then consume) command-line-args-left.  The ugly part is probably
rerouting kill-emacs (called in emerge-command-exit) within the Emacs
server.