Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:18:06 +0200

> When I want to do this, I start Emacs and then visit the file.
> What's the advantage of specifying the file name as a command arg?

It's a common usage pattern for me when doing sysadmin tasks.

For instance, I'll be looking for something in a config file, like this:

# grep foo /etc/apache/httpd.conf

I find that that's what I'm looking for, and I type

# emacs M-.

which will insert the previous parameter (i.e., the path name), and I
edit away.  Starting Emacs without a parameter would require me to type
the file name path again, which is slower.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen