Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:40:45 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 02:43:51 +0300
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> There are cases where starting Emacs with a file name command line argument
> is fully justified: for instance, logging into a remote computer only to
> fix one config file.

I think, on a tty, Emacs ought not to display the splash screen if a
file argument was given to it.  Newbies will seldom use Emacs on a
character terminal anyway.

For a window system, I already suggested to pop the splash screen in a
separate frame, preferably smaller than the standard frame
dimensions.  Many GUI programs do that, so this won't come as a
surprise for newbies.