Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:59:48 +0100

Drew,

On 25 Sep 2007, at 22:03, Drew Adams wrote:

The doc everywhere uses `mouse-1' etc.,

That is indeed a problem! It should be consistent across the board.

And the problem is? "Everywhere uses" means that it _is_ consistent. Emacs
has internal consistency in this regard.

You misunderstood me. The problem is that using something like "left click" in a single tooltip is inconsistent with the documentation. And I believe that is what you alluded to in the first place. That's what I acknowledged.

Emacs need not be
drawn down systematically to the lowest-common-denominator of inferior UIs in the name of consistency or the principle of least surprise for new users. Trying to accomodate external convention and new users is one consideration,
but not the only one.

Of course it is not the only consideration that counts and nobody ever said that.
I'm not getting drawn into such a fruitless discussion again.

About jumping to *Messages*:

I don't have a strong opinion about that. But I don't see the objection to a single-click in an environment where a single-click is not otherwise useful.

I often find myself clicking on the echo area by accident. Perhaps that has to do with the fact that when the minibuffer is active, a click there will put the focus there. But if I'm the only one who makes that mistake, never mind.

The advantage
of `X' is that it is commonly recognized to mean close or delete. (I liked
David's suggestion to turn the `X' upside down.)

Funny!