Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:09:40 +0200

>     Whenever you find such a file it will be opened with doc-view-mode
>     in a text representation.  If emacs was compiled with image (png)
>     support, it will be switched to the rendered image presentation
>     immediately, otherwise we stay in the text display mode.
>
> I want to make sure I understand right.
>
> If Emacs does not have PNG support, doc-view cannot show the image,
> and C-c C-c won't really do anything.

It toggles, but in the image display only

  [page-22.png]

is displayed instead of the image.

> If Emacs does have PNG support, doc-view will display the file
> graphically at first, and you only need C-c C-c if you want to see the
> text.
>
> Is that right?  Please tell me if any part of that is not correct.

Yes, that's correct.

>     Both display modes are read-only.  With `C-c C-e' one can switch
>     to an appropriate editing mode -- ps-mode for ps files and
>     fundamental-mode for pdf and dvi files.
>
> Why not do this by default?

Because with C-c C-c you can toggle between image or text display, but
you wen't leave doc-view-mode.  After C-c C-e you switch to another
major mode and cannot toggle back with another C-c C-e.

Bye,
Tassilo