Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead of utf-8)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:03:50 +0900

Miles Bader writes:

 > I proposed _adding_ some functionality that _uses_ prefer-coding-system
 > (or more likely, uses whatever underlying mechanism prefer-coding-system
 > uses).  No functionality would be removed.

Not removed, disabled (in some cases).  Specifically, if the *user* or
some application programmer uses `prefer-coding-system' with a
non-Unicode (non-UTF-8?) argument, he won't get the result he expects
for some XML files.  (This is true of my proposal as well, but I'm
proposing that XML encoding be explicitly decoupled from Mule
guesswork, so it doesn't bother me.)

In case you're forgotten, this is precisely the kind of behavior that
distresses the OP.