Re: Foreign file names on MS-Windows

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Foreign file names on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:21:10 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Now the important question I promised at the beginning: Should we
install this change on the release branch?  Here are the pros and cons
that I could think of for this decision:

Cons:

  . It is too close to release for such non-trivial changes.

  . The affected primitives are used in lots of places, and this
    change could break them, and the Lisp code that uses them.

  . This problem exists in Emacs for a long time, so it's not a big
    deal if it continues to exist some more (until resolved in Emacs
    23).

  . The suggested solution is only partial, and the resulting file
    names are UGLY.

Pros:

  . The bug is quite grave: it causes real data loss.

  . Whatever code uses the affected primitives is probably already
    broken.

  . The change is very simple, so the probability of it being buggy
    is very low (but please eyeball the diffs below to make it lower
    still).

Does the problem affect only W9x systems? Does the patch only affect them?