Re: Foreign file names on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Foreign file names on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:15:35 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:32:22 -0400
>
> I.e. why fiddle with Vw32_downcase_file_names?

Because 8+3 aliases are reported in all caps, as the comment says, so
instead of "some foreign file name.mp3" you get something like
"ABCDE~45.MP3", and I fear that not every alist in Emacs that supports
file recognition by extension includes both lower- and upper-case
variants.  Also, lower-casing the 8+3 aliases makes them slightly less
ugly, IMO.

> And more importantly why modify the code to change dir_static.d_namlen
> before the computation of dir_static.d_reclen (which uses
> dir_static.d_namlen)?

The original code used d_namlen to compute d_reclen before the former
was set, which in effect used the value of d_namlen from the previous
invocation of `readdir' (since dir_static is a static variable).  I
fixed that by reordering the statements where d_namlen and d_reclen
are computed.  You will see that the `readdir' implementations in
sysdep.c all do it in the order I did, and I'm quite sure w32.c is
trying to faithfully emulate sysdep.c implementations.

Anyway, d_reclen is not used anywhere in Emacs (and I have no idea
what would it be useful for, even in principle), so if you prefer that
I don't touch d_reclen's line on the branch, I'm okay with that.