Re: visualization of CVS commits

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: visualization of CVS commits
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:09:20 +0200

> Richard M Stallman writes:
>
>  >     if we release such a video in ogg theora, it will end up in
>  >     flash on youtube the first day.
>
>  > That is a big problem, and I have been thinking about how to take
>  > action on the issue.  I'm thinking about making a short video
>  > about this issue to put at the front of all videos we release.
>
> Why not simply license it only for free formats?

I don't think that you can define it in a way that will cover future
"free" formats and stop any "non-free" format reliably.  One of the
worst consequences of the overdone copyright protection is bit and media
rot: stuff becomes non-playable at some time without a legal path to
conversion.  That's not what we want to do ourselves.

> You're going to have to use some kind of "invariant sections" clause
> in any case, or somebody will just slice the anti-flash speech off
> when they rip theora to flash.

I don't think that we should prohibit people from picking a bad format
(for some, it might be all they have, and it is really hard to define in
a reliable way that does the right thing in most cases in future), but
we should not set a bad example ourselves.