Re: Emacs-Lisp Bill-Board

From: Gilaras Drakeson
Subject: Re: Emacs-Lisp Bill-Board
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 12:01:28 -0500

>> I've thought at a kind of bill-board, where everyone
>> interested might pin his code onto it.

> http://emacswiki.org

Currently, emacswiki is the de facto place for such things, but I think
it is not good enough. It definitely needs more maintenance
man-power. But also, I think there are two other specific ways to
improve emacswiki:

* official support 1: Emacswiki can be mentioned in a more visible place
  in the documentations, not just in MORE.STUFF, and a passing note in
  the FAQ. At least there can be an official consensus that emacswiki is
  _the place_ for these things.

* official support 2: having a mode for emacswiki that is _installed by
  default_, more than just webjump and some ERC functions. It could be
  just oddmuse.el, pointing to emacswiki by default.

If emacswiki cannot be improved, launchpad may provide an alternative
repository which is easier to maintain (a DVCS is easier to maintain
than a wiki, IMHO).

>> An account on launchpad seems suitable for that task.
>
> launchpad is not free software, correct?  [1][2]
>
> That seems unacceptable.

It will be much nicer if they release launchpad as free software (if
they do as they claim on their FAQ). However, I find it hard to use only
free software web-services. (Even emacswiki uses a custom Google
search).

--
Gilaras