Re: What are those .gitignore files doing in the CVS?

From: Jonathan Rockway
Subject: Re: What are those .gitignore files doing in the CVS?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 01:42:33 -0600

* On Wed, Feb 04 2009, Miles Bader wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> So, as long as the mirror is only one-way I don't see a need for those
>> files to appear in the CVS.
>
> I certainly don't want to spend the time setting up a complicated
> infrastructure for 4 very small files; if somebody else does it, great,
> whatever.
>
> But until somebody _does_ do it, there's obviously a reason for those
> files to be in CVS.  They are useful, and do not have a negative impact.

I agree here.  I think most people just want to get the source code via
their favorite method, hack a bit, and then be able to get a clean
"stat" or "diff".

It is definitely messy to have .gitignore, .bzrignore, .whateverignore
files all over the place... but the reality is that it isn't *all that*
messy, and it makes it easy for someone to clone the repository and be
able to write code in a comfortable environment.  I think making
contributing easy outweighs the cost of a few ugly files in the
repository.

Anyway, since I use Git, I appreciate the addition of .gitignore to the
repository.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway