Re: request: make-frame-visible hook

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: request: make-frame-visible hook
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:44:48 -0500

>       I have used the emacs irc clients Circe and Erc, which both provide
>     modes to track activity in hidden irc buffers.  "Hidden" may mean a
>     buffer that is not visible in any frame, or a buffer shown in a
>     non-visible frame.  The irc channels with new activity are indicated in
>     the mode-line.  Switching to a tracked buffer removes that buffer's
>     indicator from the mode-line.

> I don't think I would add an Emacs feature for the sake of this.
> However, you might be able to get more or less the same result
> by triggering off the arrival of output from a process or connection
> and seeing which IRC buffers are currently displayed.

Or using fontification-functions: when process output comes along, check
the visibility of the buffer: if it's not currently visible, remove the
`fontified' property on the inserted text, such that when the buffer
gets displayed in the future, fontification-functions will get called,
so you know that the text has now been displayed.  You can even then
highlight the text especially to grab the user's attention.

        Stefan