RE: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 15:33:00 -0700

I'm coming back to this thread because I just tried the new pretest (23.0.94.1),
where the default value of `line-move-visual' is t.

This is insane, IMO. The default value is t even in formatted modes such as
Buffer Menu and Info. It is t even in code modes such as Emacs-Lisp. If you use
`define-derived-mode' to define a new mode from scratch - a mode that has no
parent mode, it has value t in that mode. It has value t everywhere, by default.
This makes no sense.

If you absolutely feel the need to make the default value be t for modes such as
text-mode, which (you are convinced) are likely to benefit from it, then do so.
But PLEASE leave the rest of Emacs alone, by default. This is a bad choice for
Emacs - please reconsider this.