Re: Emacs on Windows keeps complaining: the directory ... is unsafe.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs on Windows keeps complaining: the directory ... is unsafe.
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 06:16:53 +0300

> From: =?windows-1252?Q?=D3scar_Fuentes?= <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 02:23:25 +0200
>
> This gave me an idea: renamed away .emacs.d. Started a new emacs
> instance, which complained:
>
> File error: Opening output file, no such file or directory,
> d:/home/.emacs.d/server/server
>
> so started eshell and created the directory d:/home/.emacs.d/server/
>
> Now file-attributes returns 500 for the file uid, the same value as
> user-uid returns, and server-ensure-safe-dir does not complain.
>
> Why file-attributes returns 544 for the file uid on the old directory?

544 is the uid of the Administrators group.  Files created by the user
Administrator are frequently seen on Windows as owned by the
Administrators group, not by the user Administrator.

But since recreating that directory from Emacs had the directory
attributed to the user Administrator (uid = 500), perhaps the owner
Windows records depends on how the directory is created.  Can you
experiment with different ways of creating directories, like from the
Windows shell, from Explorer, with the Emacs make-directory function,
and tell the results?

Thanks.