Re: Sending attachments

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:34:15 -0400

    That's what mml-preview is for.

It isn't mentioned in the Emacs-Mime manual.  Its doc string seems to
say it displays the message with Gnus, which is not what I want to do.

I did manage to preview the mime text by executing (mml-to-mime).
(That interface is not satisfactory.)  But now, after looking at the
code of mml-preview, I wonder whether that is enough.  The code of
mml-preview does things I do not understand the purpose of.

Here's what the code does, leading up to the call to mml-to-mime.
Why is this needed?  What does this do?

      (mml-preview-insert-mail-followup-to)
      (let ((message-deletable-headers (if (message-news-p)
                                           nil
                                         message-deletable-headers)))
        (message-generate-headers
         (copy-sequence (if (message-news-p)
                            message-required-news-headers
                          message-required-mail-headers))))
      (if (re-search-forward
           (concat "^" (regexp-quote mail-header-separator) "\n") nil t)
          (replace-match "\n"))
      (let ((mail-header-separator ""));; mail-header-separator is removed.
        (message-sort-headers)
        (mml-to-mime))